The modern Lord-Lieutenant is responsible for a range of activities including:
- The planning and escorting of Royal Visitors to Bristol in recognition of excellence.
- The presentation of awards and medals on behalf of The Queen.
- Representing The Queen at a variety of local events.
- Reviewing and advising on honours nominations.
- Chairmanship of the Advisory Committee that recommends the appointment of magistrates to the Lord Chancellor.
- Queen’s Awards to Industry.
- Queen’s Awards for Voluntary Service.
- Invitations to Buckingham Palace Garden Parties.
- The sending by The Queen of birthday greetings for those of 100 years of age and of congratulatory messages to couples on their 60th or 65th wedding anniversary.
The Lord-Lieutenant is the Patron of a number of local military, police and charitable organisations.
The Lord-Lieutenant is a Patron of the Quartet Community Foundation which helps to strengthen local communities by funding projects that make a real difference. They award around a thousand grants each year, supporting hundreds of thousands of people through local frontline charities and voluntary groups. Click here for information on Quartet Community Foundation. http://quartetcf.org.uk/